Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sew Together Bag Zip Pouch

This pattern can be found on Craftsy.  I made this for my partner in thePretty Little Pouch Swap 7.  My partner indicated a few likes that I thought this bag would work for her.  The pattern is called Sew Together Bag.
There are three inside zip pouches and one exterior main zip.

Here are my notes on the pattern, I opted for making two panels for the outside vs one panel so that I could make this machine appliqued bird on the front of the bag.  I used a light weight fusible interfacing for the stitching.  She gives sizes for both one piece exterior and two piece.  




I don't have progress photos until I was much further along, but I will tell you a few things about the pattern.  There are not any photos, except for the finished project, only diagrams of some of the steps.  I think the pattern could go smoother if there were photos provided.  I did email the pattern maker a couple of questions and she was quick to respond.  I was able to figure out most of the steps by laying out my pieces, looking at the diagrams, and reading the steps very carefully.   Very carefully.

I have the side panels on in this photo and the three center zip pockets are visible.  I used different fabrics for inside the pockets and also in each section, there was planning involved.  Some comments in the reviews of the pattern on Craftsy indicated some had problems with the side panels, I found this step very easy.  I was confused with the placement of the inside pocket pieces, but it was one of the questions that the designer clarified.


The exterior panel is attached in these photos (not visible), and the side bindings attached.




After these photos were taken, I removed the zipper and bindings and added a new one.  My first outside zipper wasn't long enough and also I had it unzipping toward the wrong side.  Something not indicated in the directions, but I thought it would go smoother if the outside zipper went the same direction as the inside pocket zippers.  She did indicate a long enough zipper, I just trimmed too much on the first one.  


I wouldn't call this a beginner pattern.  I used my walking foot for all the layers.  Everything did line up, I had to trim the outside panel slightly after sewing all the layers together.  The bag itself sits up nicely.  I think the directions could be just a little clearer, with photos showing the steps plus the diagrams.  The binding I did was different than her directions, I added it the 'quilting' way, but the end result is the same.  And I used a super long zipper the second time, installed it, and then trimmed the zipper after.  It was tough getting the top zipper on the second half of the exterior with all the layers, zipper, plus binding.  

I like the bag, not sure I would need one, but I would make another one for a gift.  Especially now that I've made one, it will go a bit quicker.  

Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Mary

2 comments:

qwilltr said...

You are making me feel bad...I didn't post all last week on my blog. I did a few things but never found the time to post them. Makes me want to be retired so I can sew and post things! Nice bag!

LethargicLass said...

I have loved the idea of this bag but I think after reading this I will hope for one in a swap or something as I am not sure I would be able to make it... I definitely need lots of photos and instructions lol