Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Totally Totes

Hi, I'm Mary - I'm a tote addict.  Along with all the other things I'm addicted to like fabric, patterns, notions, fabric,  zippers, thread, and I think I mentioned fabric.  

I meet once a month with a small group of sewists, and of course in December we have a fun Holiday get together.  We also have a yearly pillowcase project for a local girls home.  We each make a pillowcase and then we fill all the pillowcases with personal hygiene items.  When a girl gets one of these bags, she has a pillowcase to keep and hopefully some practical items she needs.  
Can I show you a photo of the pillowcases?  I would if it would load - which it will not.  

This year we also had a tote bag exchange.  I made up my tote, I figure I've made a few - I could wing it.  



To be honest, I had the ring of flying geese block already made from a prior swap.  The block didn't come in at 12.5", so I just hung on to it.  For this tote the block size didn't matter, I just wanted a focal piece that was colorful and fun for my partner.  


I used Riley Blake charm squares for the back.


The interior is bright and has a pocket.  The handles are sturdy cotton web.


My reading glasses for scale.


Detail of the quilting.

I would like to make a pattern for this bag - as soon as I can make another, remember to write everything down, measure while I'm working and take progress photos - I will do that!  I'm figuring not everyone can just make it up as they go.  It is a good size tote, sturdy, and nice looking.  I need one for myself!  Need.

And here is the bag I received.  I. Am. Amazed!


It's great when your friends know you so well.  

Keep Calm and Quilt On
Mary

1 comment:

jeifner said...

Of course you need more! It is fun with the charms and the colorful geese. Does your machine have any trouble with the webbing?