Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer Canvas

Every other month in the Virginia Beach Modern Quilt Guild we have a member swap.  This month's swap was a mini quilt swap with a summer theme.

I chose to use Canvas pattern by Leanne Chahley of She Can Quilt.  This is a well written pattern with measurements for many different sizes of quilt already figured for you.  

For the summer theme I chose several different shades of Kona solids that represented the sun and a neutral border color 


For quilting, I chose a variegated thread that had the same colors of the center block


This variegated thread changed the look of the center block, I think it added another element to the sun colors.  Making them seem to blend together.


My quilting pattern is called 'matchstick quilting', it is essentially lines of quilting very close together.  I went in one direction over the color portion of the mini, and the opposite direction for the border.  


There is a lot of texture to this quilting, I'm not sure I would want it on a bed quilt or lap quilt, but I think it is perfect for a wall hanging


For the binding, I decided to fuse and stitch the edges.  Fusing a binding is a little short cut if you are working on something that won't be washed much.  A mini wall hanging qualifies for fused binding.  I also stitched around the edge of the binding for reinforcement.  I had a bright green hand dyed fabric that went perfect with the summer theme.  


My mini was 14" finished

Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Mary








2 comments:

Leanne said...

It's beautiful Mary, I love the colours and the binding works so well. I am finding that if I wash the matchstick quilting it softens right up and has a lovely drape, which is a bit of a surprise.

LethargicLass said...

I'm needing more info on fuse binding... it looks great Mary!