Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Messenger Bag

A girl can never have too many bags.  Or totes.  Or fabric.  Or pillows.  Or patterns. Or ideas for making things.

I designed a Messenger Bag back in April and I love it, however it is just a little too large.  I made another, using the same pattern, just going smaller.  I love this one as well.


I didn't take any progress photos - I must have been in a hurry to use this Charley Harper bag!
I used waxed canvas (available on Etsy) for the bottom and side gussets, and on the back of the strap. I have started using waxed canvas on the bottom of bags so I don't feel like I can't put it down anywhere.  The waxed canvas is water proof, and I like the leathery look


The exterior pieces are canvas as well as inside the closing flap.  I prefer canvas on the exterior of bags, it is sturdier and more durable than quilting cotton.  I did use quilting cotton for the lining.  Adding a slip pocket inside, which I discovered I needed using the other Messenger Bag - a place for the phone so it isn't lost in the bottom of the bag.  


I like a good large bag that I can use cross body or hanging off my shoulder.  


I made this bag a couple of months ago and I use it almost daily.  I think it's time to make a fall themed messenger bag now. 


Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Mary



No comments: